Supplemental Declaration of Municipal Emergency
Executive Order 2020-032
June 2, 2020
Implementation of curfew in the City of East Providence
WHEREAS, on March 15, 2020, Mayor Roberto L. DaSilva, issued Executive Order 2020-004 declaring a state of municipal emergency within the City of East Providence due to the outbreak of COVID-19; and
WHEREAS, on May 25, 2020, George Floyd was killed by a Minneapolis police officer which has caused nationwide peaceful protests, but also significant incidents of rioting and vandalism; and
WHEREAS, during this state of municipal emergency, the State of Rhode Island and the City of Providence experienced significant destruction of property and extreme disorderly conduct during the night of June 1, 2020 through the morning of June 2, 2020; and
WHEREAS, the East Providence Police Department assisted the Providence Police department in its response to the vandalism of private businesses, the destruction and burning of a police vehicle, and numerous projectiles being thrown at law enforcement personnel; and
WHEREAS, the Governor of the State of Rhode Island has activated National Guard personnel in response to the violent acts outlined above; and
WHEREAS, the City of East Providence is amongst the municipalities aware of potential threats to property and public safety within the greater Providence area; and
WHEREAS, The City of East Providence, the State of Rhode Island, and the United States continues to battle the pandemic that is COVID-19, and further mass gatherings only have the potential to exacerbate the ongoing public health crisis that has overly impacted our urban communities; and
WHEREAS, with the advice and recommendation of East Providence Police Department, the Mayor of the City of East Providence has concluded that extraordinary measures must be taken to further protect the health, safety, and security of all East Providence residents, business owners, and public safety personnel during this state of municipal emergency.
NOW, THEREFORE, I, Mayor Roberto L. DaSilva, by virtue of the authority vested in me as the Mayor of the City of East Providence, pursuant to the Rhode Island General Laws and the Home Rule Charter of the City of East Providence, do hereby order and direct the following:
- A curfew shall be in effect in the City of East Providence beginning at 9:00 p.m. on June 2, 2020 and shall remain in effect until 5:00 a.m. on June 3, 2020.
- While this curfew is in place, no person or vehicle shall be present on any street, road, alley, avenue, park, or other places with the following exceptions:
- Persons traveling to and from home, work, or places of worship;
- Medical or hospital personnel;
- Police, Fire, Emergency Medical, or other First Responders or Emergency Workers;
- Employees of the United States Federal Government, the State of Rhode Island, and the City of East Providence;
- Military personnel including but not limited to National Guard personnel;
- Private emergency medical transport workers; and
- Persons seeking emergency services.
This Order shall take effect immediately.