Supplemental Declaration of Municipal Emergency
Executive Order 2020-033
June 5, 2020
Implementation of curfew in the City of East Providence
WHEREAS, on March 15, 2020, Mayor Roberto L. DaSilva, issued Executive Order 2020-004 declaring a state of municipal emergency within the City of East Providence which is currently in effect; and
WHEREAS, on May 25, 2020, George Floyd was killed by a Minneapolis police officer which has caused nationwide peaceful protests, but also significant incidents of rioting and vandalism; and
WHEREAS, during this state of municipal emergency, the State of Rhode Island and the City of Providence experienced significant destruction of property and extreme disorderly conduct during the night of June 1, 2020 through the morning of June 2, 2020; and
WHEREAS, the Governor of the State of Rhode Island has activated National Guard personnel in response to the acts outlined above; and
WHEREAS, the City of East Providence has been alerted to a potential threat to the safety of its residents which requires the city’s public safety personnel to be on heightened alert; and
WHEREAS, Rhode Island General Law § 30-15-13 permits the Mayor to take appropriate measures for the protection of the health, safety, and resources of the residents of the city; and
WHEREAS, Rhode Island General Laws § 30-15-9(e)(3) and (7) and 30-15-12(b) permit the Mayor to control the ingress and egress to and from high risk areas, the movement of persons within the area, and the occupancy of premises therein; and
WHEREAS, with the advice and recommendation of East Providence Police Department, the Mayor of the City of East Providence has concluded that extraordinary measures must be taken to further protect the health, safety, and security of all East Providence residents, business owners, and public safety personnel during this state of municipal emergency.
NOW, THEREFORE, I, Mayor Roberto L. DaSilva, by virtue of the authority vested in me as the Mayor of the City of East Providence, pursuant to the Rhode Island General Laws and the Home Rule Charter of the City of East Providence, do hereby order and direct the following:
- A curfew shall be in effect in the City of East Providence beginning at 9:00 p.m. on Friday June 5, 2020 and shall remain in effect until 5:00 a.m. on Saturday June 6, 2020.
- While this curfew is in place, no person or vehicle shall be present on any street, road, alley, avenue, park, or other places with the following exceptions:
- Persons traveling to and from home, work, persons performing work, patrons of establishments conducting services within the conditions of their license and/or permit, or places of worship;
- Medical or hospital personnel, or persons seeking medical treatment of medical supplies;
- Police, Fire, Emergency Medical, or other First Responders or Emergency Workers;
- Employees of the United States Federal Government, the State of Rhode Island, and the City of East Providence;
- Military personnel including but not limited to National Guard personnel; private emergency medical transport workers; and persons seeking emergency services.
This Order shall take effect immediately.