Vital Records Information
TO OBTAIN ANY VITAL RECORDS OR A MARRIAGE LICENSE IT'S BY APPOINTMENT ONLY STARTING NOVEMBER 30, 2020 UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE. PLEASE CALL 401-435-7596.
What is a Vital Record?
Vital Records consist of birth, marriage and death records.
Who can apply or obtain Vital Records?
Vital records are confidential. Therefore, only those individuals who have what is called a “Direct and Tangible Interest” may have access to records. These individuals include:
Note: A direct and tangible interest shall not be demonstrated by firms, agencies, or individuals requesting information to be used for
- The person named on the certificate, a member of his/her immediate family, his guardian, or an authorized agent of these individuals.
- Attorneys-at-law, title examiners, or members of legally incorporated
- Genealogical societies, in the conduct of their official duties.
- Persons requiring information for the determination or protection of a personal or property right.
- A person who has been granted a court order instructing the registrar to provide disclosure.
What is required to obtain various records?
To obtain a certified copy of a birth, death or marriage record you must present acceptable picture identification. An acceptable picture identification is defined as one issued by a governmental organization.
If you do not have government issued picture identification, you may submit 2 pieces of documentary evidence (utility bills, bank statements, pay stub, etc.). Both documents must contain the name and current address of the applicant.
Mail-In First Copy: $25
Mail-In Add'l Copies: $18
Walk-In First Copy: $22
Walk-In Add'l Copies: $18
We accept cash, check or money order. Checks should be payable to the City of East Providence.
Apply in person or by mail
Include completed application, photocopy of picture ID, a check and a self addressed stamped envelope.
Office of the City Clerk
145 Taunton Ave
East Providence, RI 02914
City of East Providence Requirements for Marriage License
Both Parties Need the Following:
- Certified copy of birth certificate-hospital certificates not accepted.
- Valid Government issues Photo ID.
- Proof of Residence- If not on ID, Utility bill, bank statement, car registration, etc.
- If previously Married, Civil Union or Registered Domestic Partnership: Certified FINAL DIVORCE/DISSOLUTION DECREE-no photocopies.
- If Partner is Deceased: Certified Death Certificate.
- Certified copies must have an embossed seal/stamp.
- All documents must be in english: If not in English, a Notary Public must translate the document.
- Twenty-four dollars ($24)-Cash, Check, or Money Order.
Marriage Licenses Available Monday - Friday 8:00am -3:00pm
Both parties must be present
Listing files in 'Vital Records Documents'