EAST PROVIDENCE, RI – The City of East Providence Mayor’s Office together with the Planning & Economic Development Office, today launched a COVID-19-inspired arts contest to solicit visual and performing arts from the East Providence community.
“We are asking city residents of all ages to ‘Imagine a New Day’ where this pandemic will be behind us,” Mayor DaSilva said. “What a better way to express that than through art and music?”
In the 2019-2020 budget, Mayor DaSilva, with approval from the City Council, included funding to support local arts.
“During this pandemic we felt it was important to allocate funds to an arts-inspired contest,” DaSilva added. “The contest will help our community of current and budding artists to look forward to the future.”
The public is being asked to use the “Imagine a New Day” theme in their submissions.
Imagine a New Day Contest:
Categories for submissions include: Visual Arts (photo, picture, painting, sculpture, sketching) and Performing Arts (singing, dancing, playing a musical instrument).
Prizes will be awarded for all grade levels in both the Visual Arts & Performing Arts categories.
In addition and to support local artists statewide, please consider making a donation to the Rhode Island Arts Council Rhode Island Artist Relief Fund here: http://www.artistcommunities.org/arf
Imagine a New Day Arts Contest 2020 Rules:
By submitting any artwork to the City of East Providence for the Imagine a New Day contest, entrants accept and agree to be bound by the official rules for participation as well as the entry requirements for their specific art categories and division. Participants may only submit one (1) Visual Arts OR one (1) Performing Arts entry. Any violation of these rules may, at the City of East Providence’s discretion, result in disqualification. All decisions of the City of East Providence regarding this program are final and binding in all respects.
- Eligibility: Any East Providence adult resident or resident in grades Pre-K through Grade 12 may submit an entry.
- Art Categories: There are two categories: Visual Arts (painting, drawing, sculpture, photography etc.) or Performing Arts (singing, dancing, playing an instrument etc.)
- Entry Requirements: Only original pieces of visual or performing arts work with the COVID-19 Pandemic inspired theme of “Imagine a New Day.”
- All artwork must include complete entries containing the name of entrant, age, grade level, name of school, names of parent or guardian and their mailing address, complete with zip code, telephone number and email.
- Use of copyrighted material (images) or trademarks (company names, logos, brands, etc). Plagiarized entries will be disqualified. Use of PowerPoint templates are prohibited.
- Content must comply with all local and national laws of the United States. Content must not
- promote illegal behavior;
- support racial, religious, sexual or other invidious prejudice;
- advocate sexual or violent exploitation;
- violate rights established by law or agreements;
- invade the privacy of any person; or
- be otherwise inappropriate
- Entry Submissions: Entry period begins May 1, 2020 and ends at 5 p.m. on May 30, 2020. Entries may be submitted via email at EpArtsContest@eastprovidenceri.gov.
- Grade Divisions: Pre-K-Kindergarten (Category 1) • Grades 1-5 (Category 2) • Grades 6-8 (Category 3) • Grades 9-12 (Category 4) • Adults (Category 5)
- Judging: A judging committee will review all entries (which will be kept anonymous) and select the top 10 entries in each division in both the Virtual Arts and Performing Arts categories. The top 10 finalists in each division in both Virtual Arts and Performing Arts will then go to a public vote on the City of East Providence Office of the Mayor Facebook Page on June 8th where the public will vote. Voting will be open from June 8, 2020-June 15, 2020. The top three winners in each division and in both categories will be announced on June 16, 2020.
|| Pre-k to
|| Grades 6-8
|| Grades 9-12
| 1st Prize
| 2nd Prize
| 3rd Prize
- Ownership: The copyright in any submission shall remain the property of the entrant, but entry into this contest constitutes entrant’s irrevocable and perpetual permission and consent, without further compensation or attribution, to use, reproduce, print, publish, transmit, distribute, or display such Submission for any purpose, including but not limited to editorial, advertising and publicity purposes by the City of East Providence and/or others authorized by the City of East Providence, in any and all media now in existence or hereinafter created, throughout the world, for the duration of the Submission. Entrants accept and agree to be bound by the official rules for participation as well as the entry requirements for their specific art categories and division. Students and Adults may only submit (1) piece of artwork within the categories. Any violation of these rules may, at the City of East Providence's discretion, result in disqualification. All decisions of the City of East Providence regarding this program are final and binding in all respects.