Zero Tax Increase for Residents
Good news for the City of East Providence and its residents. The City financial audit has been released and it seems that we have turned a corner and are emerging from a challenging time, stronger and more focused than ever. Here are some critical bullet points for you to review. Please also have a look at our Featured Video of Mayor Thomas Rose explaining to our community how the health of East Providence is improving and what we can expect moving forward.
- Zero tax increase this past fiscal year
- Tax Stabilization program to grow business and help existing business
- We are business friendly, and the health of business returning to the City is evident in some of the projects taking place here.
- 3rd straight year operating with a surplus
- Bond rating continuing to go up
- The taxpayers of EP voted for a $10,000,000 rainy day fund, it is now fully funded 7 years earlier than planned.
- Money set aside for capital
- 2 million spent in 2014/2015 on road improvements
- Significant upgrades to our fire stations
- Significan upgrades to our police department cars & equipment
- Our High School is accredited status once again
- Schools received 17.5 million for improvements over a 3 year time frame, with upgrades to all schools.
- Our tax rates are attractive
- City has fully funded it’s pension ARC and OPEB, one of the few cities in RI to be in this position
- The City Council have passed a very fiscally conservative budget leading to our surplus.
- The City Council have implemented a new form of communication with it’s residents that includes a mass communication system, a new innovative website that encourages online permitting, ease of use, updated new stories and monthly video.
- We are now socially connected to our community and have the ability to have ongoing conversations with our residents who can voice concerns and be heard via FB, Twitter, and Youtube.